What is Meditation?
Meditation is reaching a balanced state of mind, thus creating relaxation and awareness. This is achieved by practicing a variety of methods and techniques:
There are many reasons for meditating which include:
- Self discipline
- Self love
- State of relaxation
- State of mindfulness
- Focusing the mind
- Spiritual growth
- Connecting to the higher self
- Tapping into the collective
The ultimate goal of meditating is to create a state of â€œreality awarenessâ€ long enough to recognize any imbalance within the body or mind, which if left unchecked can create dis-ease. In addition to sharpening the mental focus, it is also important for becoming less self-centered and more caring toward others.
The Physiological Benefits of Meditation:
- Deep rest-as measured by decreased metabolic rate, lower heart rate, and reduced work load of the heart.
- Lowered levels of cortisol and lactate-two chemicals associated with stress.
- Reduction of free radicals- unstable oxygen molecules that can cause tissue damage.
- Decreased high blood pressure.
- Higher skin resistance. Low skin resistance is correlated with higher stress and anxiety levels.
- Drop in cholesterol levels. High cholesterol is associated with cardiovascular disease.
- Improved flow of air to the lungs resulting in easier breathing. This has been very helpful to asthma patients.
- Decreases the aging process.
- Higher levels of DHEAS in the elderly. An additional sign of youthfulness.
The Psychological Benefits of Meditation:
- Increased brain wave coherence.
- Greater creativity.
- Decreased anxiety.
- Decreased depression
- Decreased irritability and moodiness
- Improved learning ability and memory.
- Increased self-actualization.
- Increased feelings of vitality and rejuvenation.
- Increased happiness.
- Increased emotional stability.
In this present stressful daily life, we are challenged with loving ourselves enough to spend adequate time and energy to enhance the quality of our own lives and others.
Mediation creates a state of harmony for body, mind and spirit, allowing us to live more fully and appreciate the life we have, being less critical in our view point toward others as well as of ourselves.
In the meditation workshops we offer a variety of meditation techniques designed to help ease daily stress and make life more manageable, allowing the body and mind to cope with stress, anger, and depression, lack of self esteem, worry and fear. This allows the recognition and balance of energy centers, creating the smooth flow of energy from the mind to and around the body, promoting homeostasis; a state of complete physiological balance. It is this essential balance that allows good mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health and well being.